Chaffinch Brook Uniform and PE Kit

Pupils are required to wear the school uniform:

  • Jumper in navy blue with the school logo in orange
  • White polo shirt or white shirt
  • Black/dark grey school trousers (if pupils prefer to wear black jogging trousers this is also acceptable)
  • Black shoes or trainers

PE Kit

  • Plimsolls / trainers
  • White T-shirt
  • Shorts
  • Tracksuit and trainers for outdoor sports
  • Trainers should be left at school for use during breaks and outdoor activities


Pupils must be provided with a warm winter coat and when attending off site activities and the appropriate clothing must be provided:

  • Swimming  Trunks, goggles & towel
  • Forest Skills  Wellies & waterproof/warm coat  
  • Trampolining  Long Sleeved top, jogging bottoms & socks
  • BMX (Chaffinch Upper only) Long sleeved top, jogging bottoms and trainers

Please note that on admission, the school will provide 1 jumper, a book bag (CBL only) and PE bag (CBL only). One new jumper will be provided each September for every pupil.

Pupils are not allowed to wear hats or jewelry in school.

Additional jumpers, book and PE bags can be purchased from the school office:

  • Jumpers    £10
  • Book Bag  £4 (Chaffinch Lower only)
  • PE Bag     £3 (Chaffinch Lower only)

All items can be paid for on ParentPay.  Please ensure that your child has a credit balance on their ParentPay account to cover the cost.

Applying for Free School Meals

All parents including those children in Year 1 & 2, who are currently eligible for free school meals can check their child’s eligibility

Information required for this process includes name, address, national insurance number or asylum support service number.  In addition, parents will need to provide their child’s name, date of birth and identify the school they are attending.  If your check confirms that you are eligible, please let the school know by emailing: (for Chaffinch Lower) and (for Chaffinch Upper) with confirmation of your eligibility.

Alternatively, you can complete a form, available from the School Office and the School will check eligibility on your behalf.

School Meals & Snacks

Children receive breakfast on arrival and are provided with snacks throughout the day.

The price of a school meal is £2.10 per day. 

Please ensure that your child has a credit balance on their ParentPay account to cover the cost of their school meals.

(Menu to be attached)


If you require travel assistance for your child starting in the September term, please ensure you apply through your local council before June. Your SEN caseworker should be able to support you in this process.

Information that may be required for this process includes the following:

  • A medical statement or letter from the child’s GP
  • The most recent copy of your tax credits award notice from HMRC
  • Name of the child’s allocated Social Worker if the child is looked after by the local authority
  • Evidence of the parents disability
  • Evidence that the child requires a passenger assistant, such as documentation from the child’s school or from a medical professional

If you live in Croydon a form can be downloaded from the Croydon Council website

Alternatively, you can complete a form, available from the School Office.

For children in Croydon forms must be sent to

This doc below should be as a link for parents:


Local Support

Croydon Council’s Local offer for special

Jubilee Parenting-Chill n Chat Special-weekly groups for parents and carers offering information,support and treats to keep you going. They also run courses for parents whose children have special needs.


NAS Resource Centre- 02030054335

NAS Croydon Resource Centre, Mansfield House, 1A Mansfield Rd, South Croydon, CR2 6HP

Email: Tel: 0203 005 4335 / 0208 662 4664.

NAS (National Autistic Society)-leading charity for Autistic people and their families, providing information support and services.

SOS SEN- operates a free, friendly, confidential telephone helpline for parents and others seeking information and advice on special educational needs, helping them obtain satisfactory provision for their child’s special needs. Monthly walk-in advice centre in Thornton Heath.

Mind in Croydon-Mental Health Carers’ Support Service providing advice and  information to carers of people with a mental health problem. They also hold weekly carer meetings 02086682210 . MIND also offers a dedicated Carers’ Counselling Service based in Purley offering six free sessions to carers living in Croydon or caring for someone who lives in Croydon.

Counselling Direct phone line 02087632064 or email

Croydon Mencap-offer information and advice for parents, carers and family members of someone with a learning disability including autism.  02086845890

Also Chill and Chat sessions for preschool children with special needs and their parents /carers Tuesday 10-12 at Malling Close Children’s Centre -02086555680 and Friday 10-2.30 at Shirley Children’s Centre 02087772119

Disability Croydon-offer information and advice on disability related matters including advocacy, radar keys  02086883622 Monday,Tuesday & Wednesday 10am to 2om

Croydon Drop In- Offers free counselling for 10-25 year olds in Central Croydon and Upper Norwood, Advice & Rights advocacy for young people and parents/carers, Talkbus Outreach service in community & school settings and Parent Infant Partnership- support for pregnant mums and families with children up to 2 years old. Tel. 02086800404

National Support

Contact a Family- For information and advice on any aspect of caring for a disabled child:

Freephone:08088083555 (9:30am-5pm, Monday-Friday)

Family Fund-grants for equipment, activities & breaks to benefit your (this is not available to families with higher incomes)

Down syndrome-offering help and support in SE England. See:

Cerebra- for children with brain related conditions. They loan sensory toys through the post and offer a sleep helpline  08003281159

Ipsea-is a national charity providing free legally based advice to families who have children with special educational needs

Afasic-Speech and Language Therapy Support. Their web page provides helpful and practical information which can be downloaded. There is also a parents helpline 03006669410

Carers Allowance- Payment to help you look after someone with substantial caring needs (usually someone on the middle or highest rate of DLA-see below)

Disability Living Allowance-For children (DLA) is a non-means-tested benefit which can be claimed for children under 16 who have personal care and/or mobility needs as a result of a mental or physical disability. To be eligible the child needs ‘to need more looking after than a child of the same age.’ It is tax free. See